Monday, January 14, 2013

I didn’t find anyone worthy of my coveted Best Dressed/Wear What You Want combo award at the Golden Globes last night. Last year, I bestowed that award upon Piper Perabo, because her sheer ballgown by Theyskens’ Theory had that special touch of crazy that makes me say, “I WANT YOUR INSANE OUTFIT” to the television. I thought everyone looked very pretty this year, which is safe but doesn’t win any Wendy Brandes honors. Out of all the pretty dresses, my favorite was Lucy Liu’s ballgown by Carolina Herrera.

Lucy-Liu-In-Carolina-Herrera-2012-Golden-Globe-Awards

Go to Red Carpet Fashion Awards for more photos of Lucy Liu and all the other outfits.

The color, print and fit of this dress caught my eye. There’s something Marie Antoinette-ish about it, and I’m always in favor of that look. In November, a Dolce & Gabbana ballgown with a floral print stopped me in my tracks at Bergdorf Goodman because it had the same feeling.

dress

Click for my original post.

I guess I just like the idea of a dress that takes up a lot of space. Go big or go home!

zangmullet2edit-767x1024

My “mullet” gown by Zang Toi last year. Click for another photo.

Plunging necklines were everywhere at the Globes. I can shop my closet for that look. Most of my examples are vintage — Ossie Clark was a big fans of halters and keyhole necklines — so if you’re on the hunt for something scandalous, start online and get something that can’t be found in a mall, for WendyB’s sake! While Ossies can be expensive …

ossie

Ossie Clark halter in 2003. Click for another photo.

… I got this Donald Brooks Couture dress on eBay for $60.

cpj_2004

My sex-ay Pilgrim dress by Donald Brooks in 2004. Click for more info.

Here’s another Ossie worn in 2004.

feb2004-768x1024

The lowest neckline I’ve worn came courtesy of a Marie France dress I bought from Vintage-a-Peel. Here it is in 2006. Works well with my Cleopatra necklace, doesn’t it?

tonicollette

That’s actress Toni Collette! Click for story.

I did buy a non-vintage Black Halo dress in 2010 …

purpledresssharp-615x1024

Click for my star story.

… and was wearing a new, plunging Roland Mouret when I had an embarrassing moment with Tom Brokaw that same year.

tombrokaw1

Click for the story.

My embarrassment had nothing to do with the dress; it was my unfortunate reference to a Family Guy episode that made me blush right down to my waist. Anyway, none of my low-cut dresses or any of last night’s Golden Globes cleavage rival Jennifer Lopez’s iconic Versace dress at the 2000 Grammys.

1019jennifer-lopez-versace-grammy-dress_fa

From Glamour. Click for more about J. Lo.

I doubt anyone will outdo J. Lo when it comes to baring boobage. That dress was perfection on her. Look at that bod! Speaking of Lopez, I was irked by the tweets during the Globes about how hard it must be for her to be in the same room as ex-fiance and Golden-Globe-winner Ben Affleck. WTF! They broke up in January 2004. Hollywood is a small place; I’m sure they’ve been in the same room many times in the past NINE years. I’ve spent plenty of enjoyable time in the company of MrB’s exes (hi, ladies, if you’re reading this). It’s water under the bridge.

UPDATED TO ADD: I’m not sure it was fair for me to add an old picture of me to Not Dead Yet Style’s Visible Monday post … but I did it anyway! I’m crazy like that. I figure I still have all my low-cut dresses and will be wearing them again soon enough.

21 Responses to “My Best Dressed at the Golden Globes: Lucy Liu”

1. Aggie
    Twitter: OnceOverLightly

Oh, you beat me to blogging about Lucy’s dress, Wendy! (It’s too bad it’s always a Monday morning here in Malaysia during awards season so I’m always at work)

It’s also my fave pick at this year’s Golden Globes. Hope Lucy goes with something just as good (or even better!) at the Oscars.

That color was really a change from what other people were wearing. It’s cheerful! Tell me when your post is up!

2. Fau xFuchsia says:

LUFF the Donald Brooks frock! Want it!!!! x

3. Priscilla says:

My favorites were Lucy Liu and Kate Hudson. Everyone else was mostly blah. The most amazing thing was Anne Hathaway wearing a boring dress from Chanel that didn’t fit properly. What’s the point? And also, I wish someone would give these ladies a lesson in posture, especially when they wear strapless. So much hunching it made my back sore.

Love that Marie France dress, and the colorful Ossie Clark. Your hair looks great in a bob!

4. I wuv that pilgrim dress. The Bergdorf Goodman dress is a stunner.

5. Tina says:

I actually really liked Lucy’s braid with that dress too. The plunging neckline look is pretty great if you have the right body for it. You and the celebs at the Globes look fab, but I doubt that Salma or Sofia would be able to pull it off without looking like they have another type of job! :)

I’m so glad that Lucy broke the boring dress mold last night!

And you and your plunging necklines. Ooooh honey. Obviously the crack dude on your block didn’t see you walking the dogs in that Roland Mouret number or else he wouldn’t have been so impressed with your other outfit that he recently commented on!

7. Marti says:

I just love both the pose and the Ossie dress
    you’re wearing with the Red tights – sexy little thing. My other fave is the non-vintage Black Halo dress from 2010.
    Marti

8. I think one has to have great boobage, as I give you major props for, to carry off these necklines. But you look amazing in all these dresses, and OMG, you met Toni Collette! Now I’m pretty sure I could wear *her* dress :)

I’m not sure about great boobage but small boobage is definitely preferable. If you have large boobage, no one will be able to look anywhere else :-D

9. Oh, the sexy pilgrim dress is too awesome. I’m on eBay one minute from now looking for one! Loved Lucy’s dress too, it had *pockets*. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

10. Oh, Wendy, I thought that gown totally out of place for an event which was basically a seated formal dinner party, held inside a giant ballroom. Even if it was awards. Kerry Washington, to me, was the belle of the evening, her outfit was perfection.

I thought Kerry’s gown dress hung on her…made her look rather flat and rectangular, which is not how she really looks! She’s a beautiful woman who didn’t look her best to me, even though plenty of people fawned over her. Speaking of fawns, I’m also tired of that fawn/blush/beige-y color — whatever one calls it, there’s been too much of it for my taste.

11. Silvergirl says:

My friend and I totally picked this as our favorite of the night
    I haven’t seen much love for the look in the blogger community, but I still stand by my pick
    Her hair and make up were perfection as well
    Brett

12. Melanie says:

Your wear those plunging necklines so stunningly, Wendy. Love that Pilgrim! (For some reason outfits like that fall flat when I put them on…)
    As for Globe wear, I miss Bob Mackie.

13. Wowza, you look stunning in your low cut dresses. Just stunning. I especially love the one dress with the red tights. You look so mischievious!

I liked Lucy Lui’s dress best too. Surprisingly, it was not popular with the Fashion Police or other critics. Some of the outfits were beautiful, but just not unique enough for me.

14. Totally agree on Lucy’s dress. When Mr C protested that it “looks like Versailles wallpaper” I respnded, “That’s why I like it!”