Thursday, October 25, 2007

As I mentioned in this post, I am not now nor have I ever been a Puritan, despite my appearance in this 1994 photo (short hair, no-dancing policy).

I am a Sex-ay Pilgrim!

I call this vintage Donald Brooks gown the Sex-ay Pilgrim Dress because of the combination of severely tailored black wool and plunging neckline. I got it on eBay for $60. The work on the sleeves is amazing. They both zip and snap closed at the wrist.

I think the first photo was taken in 2003. The second photo is definitely from 2004. The first time I wore this dress was in New York, and I actually overheard more than one woman say, “Look at that beautiful dress!” as I walked by. It was so exciting! The 2004 event was in Los Angeles. Let’s just say this dress isn’t a very L.A. look. I am sure everyone thought I was a Puritan. “Oh no! A Puritan is here. Does that mean no dancing? Hide the drugs!”

(This post was inspired by Leah and Tracey.)

Separately, I am still obsessed with fish feet, so I was very excited when I got an email from Jildor Shoes with this subject line: “Blowfish Shoes at Jildor.” My hopes were quickly dashed.

“Hobbit” bootie by Blowfish
$59 at Jildor Shoes

Not exactly what I had in mind. But here are some other blowfish links:

35 Responses to “I Am Not a Puritan”

1. applevenusian says:

Yo, that dress is super sex-ay! Stupid L.A. people… they probably thought you were all Kelly McGillis a la Witness. Oh, wait, she was a Pennsylvanian Dutch in that movie. Um… wait. Amish! Darn it! Pinot’s messing with my brain.

2. Lynn says:

You rawk it girl, the Puritans would shave their head bald hahaha!

3. Jen (MahaloFashion.Com) says:

It’s such a unique dress!

4. M says:

you look stunning! Great dress!

I love Blowfish’s boots too!! I wrote a post about two months ago, and I still didn’t find where to find them in Europe (I guess I didn’t put much time in it :-) Cheersss! Mer (http://elfashionista.net)

5. GCA says:

Those boots are in the middle of a major identity crisis. They’ve got rivets similar to blue jeans, and a wierd plaid-ish print that not even the lamest Scotophile would fall for. Are they a pair of shoes, a pair of jeans or a kilt?
    Verdict: Offesive Shoewear in the 1st degree. Punishment: To have them worn by 25-year old rudderless mall rats or vegan EarthFirsters with names like Sunwolf or He-sparrow after they’ve fished them out of the dumpster in the back.

6. Debbie Shiamay says:

OMG if i were to see u in THAT dress ill walk rite up to u and ask u where u got it from!

7. Angela says:

Yikes, that shoe is an eyesore!

8. In Yr Fshn says:

Wendy! That dress looks absolutely breathtaking on you! Can I just say how envious I am of your natural ability to rock the hell out of red lipstick?

You know, I just went back to the post for a sec to take another look at those eyesore boots, and seriously: you look amazing!

9. La Belette Rouge says:

So happy that Leah and I could inspire this post. You are clearly a very unpuritanical pilgrim! As I am a big fan of the “sexy secretary” and “lusty librarian”, I also love the Passionate Pilgrim. My first pair of shoes I bought on Rodeo Drive looked like Italian suede pilgrim shoes with the most beautiful gold lining. I miss those shoes.

10. Kira Fashion says:

great pics!

a kiss

11. WendyB says:

AppleV, you made me LOL! I knew that dress reminded me of some movie. And @ GCA, “He-sparrow” is a stroke of genius. Mad genius, but still. Thank you for kind comments, other peeps.

12. Diana @ So Fash'on says:

I don’t know if I told you before but you have a million dollar smile!!!!!

13. Diana @ So Fash'on says:

I don’t know if I told you before but you have a million dollar smile!!!!!

14. Diana @ So Fash'on says:

I don’t know if I told you before but you have a million dollar smile!!!!!

15. Leah says:

You look amazing! Great makeup, great hair and great dress! Even in L.A. the women would be envious – they were probably trying to figure out where they could get one made entirely of sequins and cut “up to there.”

16. Kian says:

OMFG THAT IS THE MOST AWESOME DRESS!

*ahem*

You look so fabulous! I love it!!

17. The Clothes Horse says:

It’s good to know where you stand on the whole dancing rule. Such a steal on that dress!

18. Shelly says:

$60?!? Zippered sleeves!?! I gotta check out eBay a lot more often. Love how you rock the dress.

19. WendyB says:

Thank you, Diana. My hairdresser thinks I should look more mysterious and tells me “stop giving that big toothy smile”! But unfortunately I am the opposite of Posh Spice and can’t NOT smile for the camera. If I’m not smiling, I just look anxious! Shelly, this was an unbelievable find for eBay (it’s Donald Brooks COUTURE too). I think it went for so little because it looked pretty scary in the pictures. Yards of black wool and a big giant daisy on the bust! I had my doubts too.

20. riz says:

Hot dress – Incidentally, I found myself really admiring your haircut in the 2nd and third pics. I am printing this post out and taking it to my hairdresser next week (random comment i know, but just so you know. :)

21. WendyB says:

Ooh, Keith would be so flattered. You’ll have to post a photo after!

22. Valley Girl says:

K now you’re just showin’ off. You’re too pretty!

23. WendyB says:

VG, with full hair and makeup I do okay…you’ll notice most of the pix I post here are full hair and makeup! I’m not that crazy about the natural look. I wish I could go around all the time with someone to primp me ’round the clock like the big stars do!

24. Vintage Bunny says:

Wendy,
    You have great dresses,I wish i could move into your closet

25. G.G. says:

<3 the puritan dress. eBay rocks!

26. Lynette says:

Well, all I can think of to say is these photos are not of the sort of Pilgram I used to happily color in elementary school. No sir-e-e-e-e. What a dress! I imagine you were extremely pleased when you got in the high bid! Both you and it look splendid.

27. editor says:

i’d say it in ny, i’d say it in l.a., and i’d say it in all points between: my god what a beautiful dress!!!

28. Christine says:

that is an awesome dress! why oh why do I have the WORST possible luck on ebay? I have spent hours on there and never won anything great!

29. atelier says:

It’s such an awesome dress! You look really cool, and only for $60… I’d start looking for more clothes on e-Bay!!

30. Naki says:

Not sure if my comment went through, trying again :) Love the dress and the lipstick. Who makes th lipstick? That dress is puritanical, but oh so sexy!

31. WendyB says:

Naki, I think then I wore Scarlet by Chanel (discontinued) and Rio by Trish McEvoy (possibly discontinued too!). I’ve been wearing a lot of “Lasting Lust” by MAC lately.

32. Dan says:

You’re the sexiest Pilgrim I’ve ever seen.

33. cherrymagazine says:

interesting! you look great

34. jennine says:

wow! that IS a beautiful dress!
    and i’m always amazed how gorgeous your hair is… ALL THE TIME!

35. K-Line says:

You look like you could walk the red carpet in the sex-ay pilgrim dress.