Monday, November 21, 2011

Ever since I dressed to the teeth for two Lady Gaga concerts last year, I feel kind of naked going to musical events in my everyday jeans and black t-shirt.

Gaga concert outfit #1. Click for original post.

Gaga concert outfit #2. Click for original post.

At a recent Kanye West/Jay-Z concert, Kanye totally outdressed me by wearing a leather skirt over pants, so I was happy to see that Kid Rock was wearing a black-tee-and-jeans combo at his Beacon Theatre concert on Saturday.

The hat is a nice addition.

I was surprised to see Kid Rock playing a small venue so I had to jump on it and get tickets for me and my gorgeous friend Amanda. It turns out that Kid is touring for charity — donating to local causes in every city he plays. I’m impressed! Much more so than I was by snappy dresser Kanye’s awkward visit to Occupy Wall Street.

This show brought back a lot of memories for me. The Beacon Theatre was where I saw Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Wham! and Siouxsie and the Banshees in the ’80s. How I wish I still had my original Frankie Say Relax t-shirt!

As for Kid Rock, I first saw him from the audience of the 1999 MTV Video Music Awards at the Metropolitan Opera House. If I had a time machine, I’d drop in on that show again. They don’t make them like that anymore: Eminem won Best New Artist; Lil Kim came with her boob out and Diana Ross copped a feel; and Madonna received a drag-queen tribute. But I was really excited by opening of the show. The Collegiate Chorale performed an operatic version of Kid Rock’s “Bawitdaba” to introduce host Chris Rock. One of MrB’s journalism colleagues was part of the choir. He told MrB he had no idea what this Chris Rock/Kid Rock/VMA thing was all about but he was going along with it. To this day, whenever I listen to “Bawitdaba,” I imagine that the Collegiate Chorale is singing along.

And here’s Kid himself from the ’99 VMAs, performing with Run-DMC and Aerosmith. Don’t miss Joe C., Kid Rock’s hype man, who bragged of being “Three foot nine with a 10 foot dick.Joe C. died just over a year after this show.

Kid Rock did a nice little tribute to Joe C. at the Beacon Theatre concert.

After the show, MrB (who didn’t attend) took a picture of my “outfit.” Lately, I feel compelled to document my lamest fashion moments as a public service. Anyone who is overwhelmed by the many amazing fashion bloggers putting together elaborate outfits every single day can come here for a refreshing dose of boredom.

What Wendy Wore:
Jacket: The notoriously puffy Boudicca (2005/2006-ish?)
T-shirt: Splendid
Jeans: Citizens of Humanity (2011)
Boots: Celine (2005/2006-ish?)
Facial expression: Courtesy of a cold, Sudafed and three glasses of wine

The two guys coming up the sidewalk observed the taking of this photo in a “Huh?” kind of way. I think the dogs were equally confused.

At least I’ll have a great excuse to dress up for a concert in February, when I go see my beloved Adam Ant. Good thing I kept all the components of last year’s Halloween costume!

Just call me Prince Charming. Click for original post.

20 Responses to “What Wendy Wore: Kid Rock at the Beacon Theatre”

1. Cathie
    Twitter: cathiemaud

I actually really like the 2nd Gaga concert outfit you wore! Those curls are fierce — and so is your ‘claw’! ;)

2. qin says:

that silver dress is PERFECT for gaga

Celine and Boudicca? It almost doesn’t get any better than that.

I totally can’t wait for Adam Ant!!

4. Eli says:

You know what’s funny? Ever since I moved to SF, I’ve had very few instances where I’ve been compelled or needed to dress up, where as in Vegas we did this all the time! Albeit, your situation is extremely different. I think concerts are the perfect occasion to dress up! Rock that Adam Ant!!

5. Cameron
    Twitter: CameronMiquelon

My anti-spam word + Kid Rock = a match in cold beer heaven lol!

Wee Henry looks sooooo cute looking up at you, too, Prince Charming. ;)

My personal favourite VMA moment was in 1993 when Neil Young + Pearl Jam tore down the house with their blistering performance of Young’s “Rockin’ in the Free World.” How the world went from that to Wheezy picking up a Strat for all of 5 seconds, then smashing it without so much as one note played… pfft !

As for the ’80s, the only band from that decade I ever saw (so far) in person was The Sisters of Mercy when Von et al played in Seattle in 2006; I was just happy to see them at long last!

6. Vix says:

Rocking the dandy highwayman look.
    You look fabulous dressed up or down. x

7. Mary says:

You are so bloody brave with the outfits! I wouldn’t dare now although I have worn some ridiculous things to parties in my younger days.

8. Franca
    Twitter: apple_franca

Your dressy-uppy outfits are always amazing! I’ve been doing quite a lot of jeans-wearing recently too. Have fun at adam ant!

9. The Style Crone
    Twitter: judithstylecrone.com

You could never be boring!

10. Rebecca says:

Adam Ant! Your dogs are cuties.

11. Marian says:

I love that you totally dress up for concerts. I think it is the perfect homage to the artiste.

Hope you are well.

Love,
    Marian.

12. Denise says:

I love Wendy Ant!

Awwwj I hope you’re feeling better Wendy! Your pups are adorable. They’ve definitely got the Huh?! look down.

14. Susan Tiner says:

I kind of like it that you often wear a black tee shirt and jeans.

15. Elizabeth says:

The Adam Ant outfit will C-I-L.

The other outfits are brilliant. I admire your ability to cobble together venue- and event-perfect looks every time you see a show—or take the dawgs for walkies. I can’t be bothered.

16. Kari. says:

LOL! What a fun post. I am amazed at some of these fashion bloggers! How do they do it?! I love your outfits — what fun! I always struggle with really dressing up … I don’t know how to respond when people react to the different me. :-) thanks for this.

17. Jill says:

Best Halloween costume ever!

18. Liv says:

The Gaga show outfit is adorable, like an angel from space! But the soon-to-be-Adam Ant show outfit is what stole my heart. I’d love to see what you’d wear to a Prince show!

19. i love all of your outfits, even the “lame” one :) a fun post indeed!