Friday, December 14, 2012

Sexy runway shows — and celebrity red-carpet choices — have convinced some people that every Versace design is scandalously flesh-baring, but, as I’ve written before, there are plenty of conservative options. I still have the sober Versace pantsuits I wore to work at Lehman Brothers between 2000 and 2005. I also have a knee-length purple plaid Versace skirt that I got during the Lehman era. For as long as I’ve had it, I’ve been wearing it with one particular black sweater.

Picture 294

The skirt and sweater in 2008. Click for original post.

As designer/blogger/stylist Stacy Lomman discovered during our wardrobe-therapy project, I don’t have a lot of non-t-shirt tops. She recently accompanied me to Bloomingdale’s to try to hunt down some options. We found a black peplum Maje sweater with an exposed zipper in the back. I wore it with the Versace skirt to a dinner party on Wednesday.

peplumresize2What Wendy Wore – Stacy Lomman Outfit #10
Sweater: Maje (2012)
Skirt: Versace (2004)
Shoes: Lagerfeld (1994)
Necklace: My own chicken-in-egg locket design.

During Versace’s Fall 2004 runway show, the skirt was shown with a hairy, deliberately-mismatched jacket. I have the jacket, and I wear it all the time, though never with the skirt. I’m even wearing that jacket in my driver’s license photo!

Right before I went to that dinner, I wrote about an annoying story on what women over 40 should wear. Well! The 60+ hostess of the dinner party was wearing a black lacy shirt with a red bra visible underneath! (At the same time, there wasn’t a lot of skin showing.) I loved it. She looked 100% confident, and that’s hawt at any age.

UPDATED TO ADD: Wish I had a picture of the hostess for Not Dead Yet Style’s Visible Monday, but a photo of me will have to suffice! Check out the post to see more blogger outfits.

10 Responses to “What Wendy Wore: Conservative Versace Skirt”

1. K-Line says:

I love that top – great pairing with the skirt.

2. Nancy says:

And I love that in the first photo you’re wearing a “swear.” Because that’s how you roll, right?

OMG, I am literally laughing out loud. Gonna change that to sweater, I guess. Though “swear” is definitely more me.

A fantastic skirt, and I love the not-matching jacket too. Still shaking my head over at that post.

4. I’ve been on the hunt for a peplum top. Love yours. That beautiful skirt is timeless.

Man, that list was annoying. Too many don’t, and not nearly enough do’s, like wear what flatters you and makes you feel confident and beautiful.

5. Performance and Cocktails
    Twitter: faultlessaplomb

I LURVE that jacket AND I think it looks fantastic with the skirt, even though you don’t wear them together

6. Vix says:

That skirt is gorgeous and loving the peplum top, too. Those shoes in the first picture are incredible.
    The host sounds like one bad ass lady, love the sound of her outfit! x

7. Lee says:

Love that skirt! Darling with that sweater!

8. Lenya Wilson says:

LOVE that top on you with the fab plaid skirt. Stacy and you make a gret fashion combo.

9. You and Stacy are such a stylin’ team! Great new top for your skirt, and the hairy jacket is amazing. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.