Thursday, July 26, 2012

My gorgeous friend Keith Carpenter has been cutting my hair since the early ’90s. We’ve been through a lot of styles together, including pixies and perms.

This perm in 1995 is one of my favorite looks. Click for original post.

Yesterday, when he indicated a lock of hair near my face and asked, “What if we cut this off completely?”, I replied, “Why not?” I figured it wasn’t a lot of hair — just enough to better show off my earring designs and aggravate an acquaintance who always commands me to grow out my hair. If I can promote my jewelry and say IDGAF to someone at the same time, it’s a no-brainer.

So … can you see the little shorn patch right above my ear? I’m holding the rest of my hair back to show you, otherwise it would be pretty well covered.

Keith was disappointed I wasn’t wearing any earrings, but I promise I’ll get a picture with a pair next week.

While I’m on the topic of IDGAF, my small IDGAF necklace is now available in silver. Click the photo below to purchase.

IDGAF necklace in sterling silver. $300. Click to shop.

Going back to hair, I recently listened to the 1983 song “Jeopardy” by The Greg Kihn Band and remembered how much I loved the mullet ‘do on the runaway bride at the end of the music video.

Click to see the video.

In 1983, my hair was too short to do that style, but look at what I had going on in 2008.

My 2008 mullet. Click for original post.

I guess you never forget your first (hair) love!

24 Responses to “Hair Today …”

1. K-Line says:

I LOVE it!!!

2. Kait says:

I have rarely been very happy with my hair. I had it very short for most of the last 15 years or more. I am now trying to grow it out. Which makes me remember why I cut it off in the first place.

Much to my surprise, I’ve found it easier to deal with longer hair than short. I used to have to have it cut every four weeks or else I was instantly in the growing-out phase. I don’t have the patience for that kind of upkeep anymore! I’m a great believer in flat irons though.

3. Your hair is adorable. I want that necklace!

4. Love it! It reminds me a bit of Cyndi Lauper’s hair in the “Time After Time” video. I remember that style being very popular amongst the fringe crowd in my high school.

Cyndi’s first album came out in …. 1983. I swear, that was the BEST year for music and fashion and art!

5. I agree with Sheila – got that rocker chick thing going. Great showcase for your earrings!

I want purple streaks in mine.

6. Mary Panjari says:

OMFG you are the hotness!I love weird Al’s version of jeopardy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_JIg9NB47M

7. Lynette says:

Super cool, WendyB. And, as an ol’ lady somewhat crippled by the use of a teensy range of swear words, I am quite proud of myself for immediately realizing what your acronym stands for!

8. You new hair looks very cool. I like all the layers and the shorn patch – which takes me back. When I was a student I had a mohawk type cut, DIY at first and then a friend – not a qualified hairdresser – neatened it up. The shorn patches were much bigger and took quite a while to grow out but it was fun at the time.

9. Samantha
    Twitter: bougtalk

Have another perm! You could bring them back! :-) (never is the new thing!)

I would definitely do that again if it wasn’t so hard to maintain! Dealing with the roots was not fun.

10. brett says:

i agree with the gal that said it reminded her of cyndi lauper!
    oh the days of perms…my last one was in 1985 and i can safely say that unless some crazy person gets a hold of me in my nursing home days, i will never have another one
    brett

11. Amanda says:

The hair looks badass, especially with that lipstick. Is it your usual red? (MAC Lasting Lust, I think?) It looks maybe different, but I can’t tell if it’s just my monitor. And it looks awesome, and I must have it.

I’m sooo loving this cut on you!
    Greg K. needs to call you for a video remake.

13. Lara says:

We need a full shot of your new do!
    The fringey fringe is great!

14. Stephanie
    Twitter: nouvelle

I love your new ‘do! So cute – I kind of want something like that but I’m afraid to because I’m a teacher.

Oh, and my anti-spam word was “LAWORDER” which is pretty dope. ;]

Yes, best to play it safe if you’re teaching — unless you have summer off, of course! Then do it in the beginning of the summer and grow it out by fall :-)

15. What a fun post! You look GREAT.

Wendy, I have a question for you.
    Can the men’s pommel horse be any more boring?

17. Art Diva says:

Gah, seeing your ’08 mullet makes we want to regress to my ’08 mullet, which has been my favorite cut to date (been dealing with some growing-out doubts lately). I’d be happy to volunteer my services in bringing back the perm, but don’t think my hair can handle it!