Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I rarely suffer from buyer’s remorse.

In the past five years, there have been two inexpensive vintage dresses from eBay that even the talented Jean of Ghost Tailor couldn’t get to fit right. Then there was one unflattering dress — Oscar de la Renta, I believe — that a vintage-store owner with whom I’d had a long business relationship schmoozed me into, despite my very vocal worries that Jean couldn’t redeem it. She couldn’t and the store owner wouldn’t make an exception to his no-return policy. (I later sold the dress through my friend Evan at Frock.)

Other than those instances, most fashion acquisitions turn out well for me, though I am sometimes in sticker shock during the purchase. I was terrified when I spent $300 on a pair of Prada Mary Janes in the mid-’90s, but I still wear them 15 years later. I’m not going to admit how much I paid for the gray, ruffled, beribboned Valentino sweater seen in the 2007 photo below, but I love the sweater more and more as the years go by. I’d rather have this one beautiful Valentino than 100 ordinary J. Crew sweaters — or a thousand Forever 21 sweaters.

At Hever Castle in England.

I’m much more likely to experience non-buyer’s remorse. Sometimes it happens because I don’t find out about a thing of beauty until it’s too late. This weekend, I fell in love with the glitter Jeffrey Campbell Lita platforms on Hippie Couture‘s blog. I could see the Runaways wearing these. But, more importantly, I could see me wearing them … except both styles are sold out in my size everywhere. If Hippie Couture wears a 6.5, she better hope she doesn’t across me in a dark alley because I will mug her feet.

The boot version, courtesy Hippie Couture.

The shoe version, courtesy Hippie Couture.

More typically, my non-buyer’s remorse stems from momentary miserliness. This year, I passed on rainbow Ferragamo wedges because they seemed too expensive, before I realized that they were $106,497,500 less than a Picasso and, therefore, relatively affordable. Back in 2006, it was the huggable-looking Fendi/Moncler Spy bag that was the target of my tightwad ways.

Fendi/Moncler Spy bag, courtesy PurseBlog.

I adored that bag. I tracked it as it was marked down on Bluefly, but decided it could go lower. Instead, it sold out and I’ve been stalking it on eBay ever since.

In 2003, Philip Treacy’s Warhol hats caught my eye. I passed on those for a few reasons:

• Price.
  • I don’t wear hats very often.
  • They were awfully bold.

I’ve thought about those hats for seven years, during which time I got a lot bolder with my fashion choices. When I found the perfect Treacy/Warhol hat online a couple of weeks ago, I hesitated over the price again. Then I thought, “REALLY? After seven years?” I got it.

It had the original tag on it …

I almost hate to cut off an original tag.

… and a Warhol soup-can lining.

Voila!

Liz Taylor: painted by Warhol, hatted by Treacy, worn by WendyB.

Maybe I didn’t wear hats in 2002 because I didn’t have one I loved as much as this one. I expounded on the perfection of my hat to MrB all the way to and from a movie Saturday night. (The hat watched The Social Network while carefully perched on my knee.)

What Wendy Wore to the Movies
Hat: Philip Treacy (new in 2002, new to me in 2010)
Trench: Zang Toi (not sure what year; need to check with Zang)
Jeans: Acne (2008)
Sweater: Nordstrom private label (mid ’90s)
Boots: Prada (2008)
Lip color: MAC’s Pro Longwear Lipcolor in Lasting Lust

Now tell me where I can get a pair of glitter Litas, bitches!

57 Responses to “What Wendy Wore: Alleviating Non-Buyer’s Remorse”

1. Poochie
    Twitter: ShoeDaydreams

Non-buyers remorse is always worse. That is why I try my best to never indulge that stingy side.

Love the hat.

2. Paulettew says:

Where I work is getting the glitter Lita’s soon? Just wanted to tell you that if you are still interested in buying them :)

3. AWESOME. You know what they say; little bit older, little bit bolder. Watisch!

4. Tonio says:

Love the shoes!
    but the warhol hat is awsome!!!
    is Liza Minneli?
    regards babe!
    Tonio, from the lovely san BLOG

5. I know … the pain of NOT getting is worse than going wrong. I still have an ebay search for a Romeo Gigli (’80′s) crocheted wrap around way too long sleeves top. Mine disappeared and I am still very sad.

6. erindyan says:

Congrats!

I love it. And it’s over the top in the best way!

7. The Well-Appointed Catwalk
    Twitter: WellAppCatwalk

Non-buyers remorse happens to me all the time, particularly with shoes. I wait for them to go on sale, but being a size 5, they always sell out first. I’m so glad you finally got your hat. It’s pretty damn amazing!

xo,
    Marissa

Oh, girl, with size 5 you can’t wait! Or tiny-footed blogger Princess Poochie will snap them up before you do.

8. I am down with that hat. And it’s magic lining!

9. Jemina says:

Thank goodness you bought that awesome hat, and OMG those glittery Lita are definitely killers…

drool and swoon :)

XOXO
    J

10. Katie says:

I learned my lessons of non-buyers remorse early and, for a while, often. At 6 feel tall (all leg) with size 10 triple narrow feet, I’d finally find a pair of jeans/shoes that fit, and only buy one. They’d be perfect, eventually wear out, and then it’d be years before I could find something suitable again. Now I buy in bulk and store away for a rainy day.

And I thought it was cool that I can see a giant Warhol Campbell’s soup can (signed by him and everything) outside my window everyday. But wearing them in the lining of your hat wins, hands down (heads down?).

11. Carolyn says:

The Lita shoes are spectacular. I suffer from can’t buy-ers remorse. I’d be about 6’5 in those things…

12. Eric says:

Soup can lining is awesome!

13. sharon rose says:

Hi there-the hat is just so covetable and gorgeous, well done on eventually stalking and obtaining it, your outfit is just fabulous too my dear! xx

14. Vyque
    Twitter: fasshonaburu

we wear the same shoe size??? we should swap shoes that we dont wear!!

15. Amanda says:

Love the hat! I am glad you were able to track it down. I will often have both buyers remorse and non-buyers remorse. I had a momentary bit of buyers remorse after buying a Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress at Barney’s Warehouse sale but I love it and know that I definately would’ve had non-buyers remorse had I not snatched it up.

16. Miss Janey says:

Some things are a bargain at any price. Great hat.

17. Maddy
    Twitter: maddytweetz

I love your wardrobe, though I couldn’t imagine spending that much on clothes. Bags? Perhaps. Cameras? Definitely! But clothes, meh! Not for me :o/

As my mother says, everyone has their priorities!

Someone needs to tell me how their Forever 21 stuff is holding up in 10 years. I won’t hold my breath. ;-)

18. TexNYQueen says:

I totally get you with those Litas. Sa-weet. I’ve been on the hunt for the Steve Madden version of the glitter Louboutins in silver, closed toe with the bow on the back in a sz8 – to no avail.

Tis the season for glitter!

19. Make Do Style
    Twitter: MakeDoStyle

When I spend well i.e. high and on great items I never suffer buyers remorse. That’s why no more rubbish for me – I’d rather go without. Love the hat!

When I buy quality pieces, I keep them forever. When I didn’t have any money I haunted sample sales. Now it’s eBay. All the ordinary, basic, practical stuff I used to get was gotten rid of long ago. Nothing worth saving. Nothing even worth wearing at the time I wore it, but what did I know back then? Ah, youth.

20. Eli says:

Love hearing about the Wendy shopping chronicles!

Ive had not buyers remorse when I passed up on a Norma Kamali flannel dress at a thrift store :(

And buyers remorse when I bought a MJ stam bag from Buffalo Exchange at a really great price it was too good to be true cause I discovered it was fake AFTER I got it, luckily they were nice enough to return me my money!

21. Kristin
    Twitter: BonBonRoseGirls

I spent $300+ on a Betsey Johnson tulle confection when I was a very poor early twenty something and have never regretted it!

22. Nickie Frye says:

Yeah, I blew it on the Lita’s too. I’m hunting for the tapestry ones in a size 7.

23. Sally
    Twitter: sallymcgraw

Hot cha! So glad that marvelous hat is finally in your hot little hands. Or on your hot little head. OK, that sounds wrong.

24. Sara says:

One of my favorite blog posts… ever. You’ve put it far better than I could, but I, too, love it when I buy something unique and very me that I know will still be in my closet and loved and worn by me in ten, fifteen, twenty years. Non-buyers remorse is the best!

25. OMG to the hat and its Warhol Campbell Soup lining. And for a second I thought Lita Ford? Would she have worn these in her metal years? But Runaway years, yes, of course!

26. jennine says:

i love that hat! it’s so great… and the rainbow shoes…those would be out of this world with it!

27. lisa says:

Such a great hat!

28. The hat is great! I’m so happy to hear you resisted not buying it, and that you are happy with it. It deserved a place of honor on your knee at the movies. I hope you will give it a seat of honor at a dinner soon.

And that sweater is one of my favorites on you. I remember when you wore it out one day when I was in NY with you in January. We were gray sweater/beret twins!

I’ve had non-buyer’s remorse a few times; once over a Swatch, if you can believe that. Also, I’ve had donated-to-charity remorse several times. Oh, how I’ve regretted two pairs of shoes I let go. Ugh.

29. This post makes me sad about the trilby my mother never wore so said I could have, but then decided I looked ridiculous in, so took it back. It makes me sad because of how awesome you look! I think I’m going to have to buy myself my own hat now. x

30. Miss Peelpants
    Twitter: misspeelpants

I like a good hat, and that is a VERY good hat. I would also have perched it delicately on my knee…. ;)

31. Winnie says:

Oh that bag really is huggable!

Ah I always get that indecisiveness over something and then decide not to buy it…only to discover it sold out the next time I look! Sometimes I guess it’s worth taking the plunge! Oh gosh, this makes me want a jacket I passed in Zara today. Destined not to be there when I visit tomorrow I’m sure!!

Love that Valentino cardigan on you, it’s really gorgeous!

32. jillian says:

haha okay so now that i’ve seen those crazy shoes all i can think about is dressing up like some crazy disco superhero and kicking some ass!

33. woah, bold move with the hat!
    haha, i have my own personal non-buyer remorse,
    always waiting for sales or the right price and realizing i should had purchase them before they ran out of size/stock!

yes, i went to apply for a job as a gift wrapper to will my time away, well, if you call gift wrapping under the creative department. haha!

With Love,
    Sabrina

34. Joy D. says:

Glitter Litas are the way to go as I know most fb’s won’t go near them. But alas, I would be 7+ feet tall in them.

JD
    iplayfaves.blogspot.com

35. Grit and Glamour
    Twitter: gritandglamour

THAT hat + THAT trench = sexeeeeee! Eight years later is better than never. Word.

♥ V
    twitter: @gritandglamour

36. Wow- absoloutely love those shoes! Can see why you want them so much!

37. That hat is amazing, I’m glad you went for it.

38. Jill says:

I have remorse over an Andrew Gn coat that I didn’t buy. It upsets me just thinking about it!

39. Couture Carrie
    Twitter: couturecarrie

Fantastic hat, darling!
    Love it!
    Isn’t ebay great?

xoxox,
    CC

40. KIRAFASHION says:

Wendy!!! Your smile is for me your best feature, always so fesh and beautiful! Love to see you every time :)

all my kisses,

Kira

41. OMG, WB. Those ROCK!!!! The litas (and the warhol hat, and your sweater, etc.). As for the shoes. Could you get a pair of averagely colored litas and glitter them yourself? I remember Annie Spandex had a great mod-podge DIY to glitterize your shoes without leaving glitter dust behind every time you walk.

42. Sheila says:

One of my key questions when I’m waffling over a purchase is, “Will I regret it if I don’t buy it?” – I’ve missed a few things that I still think about (a Persian rug in a garage sale for $60, a vintage green dress that still calls to me across the years).

I love the hat – it totally suits you. :) I’m glad you found it.

43. Marian says:

oh that hat was made for you!

And don’t you hate those fashion ones that got away?!! they always haunt me darling!
    xoxo
    marian.

44. deja pseu
    Twitter: dejapseu

Finally! I’ve been having trouble getting your blog to load for the last couple of days…grrrr.

Anyhow, the hat is perfect. It’s so YOU.

Non-buyers remorse is much worse than buyers remorse, IMO.

45. I liked the fendi/moncler spy too. I liked the spy bag in general. I like your zang trench too. I know I’ve made some pricey purchases but there have been the few that ending up being worth every penny.

That hat freakin’ kicks ass!!! It’s like it was made for you.

47. Alicia
    Twitter: T

My best guess would be Solestruck, but I really have no idea.

I’ll remember this post when I find my holy grail of leather jackets…or those clear Prada sunglasses.

How did the hat enjoy the movie?

48. Ashe Mischief
    Twitter: oh_ashe

Like so many, I’ve had too many non-buyer’s remorses. Never again! Everytime I pay a bit of cash for something, I treat it better, love it more, and use it more.