Tuesday, July 30, 2013

I’m a member of the Women’s Jewelry Association, so I attended the networking group’s 30th annual Awards for Excellence gala last night.

Monica Stephenson of idazzle.com — one of June’s Vegas Gems gang — was nominated for an award in the media category. She didn’t win the award, but her outfit was as WINNING as Charlie Sheen with tiger’s blood! Check out Monica’s Helmut Lang gown worn with a backwards necklace (aka back-lace).

idazzleresize

This look deserves a prize!

Barbara Palumbo of Jeff Cooper Designs (another Vegas Gem) looked delicious in orange chiffon by Halston Heritage.

barbarapresize

Barbara’s perfect summer look.

Barbara and I sat next to each other at dinner and goofed around with our camera phones.

duck

Mwah!

As for me, I figured a jewelry-industry event was a good place to wear all gold everything, so I wore a gold dress from gorgeous designer Stacy Lomman‘s Spring 2011 “Precious Metals” collection.

golddress1resize

What Wendy Wore
Dress: Stacy Lomman (2011, previously seen here and here)
Shoes: Same Prada shoes I always wear with this dress (2011)
Jewelry: All my own designs except for one bracelet from MrB and one bracelet that was a 16th-birthday gift from my grandfather
Lip color: A combination of two very old Trish McEvoy lipsticks

When I got home that night and got into my building’s elevator, I started fishing around in my cork clutch (seen in this 2010 post) for my key. I dropped the purse, everything fell out, and I could only watch in horror while one of my two lipsticks rolled slowly into a narrow crack and fell down the elevator shaft.  Luckily, gorgeous Twitter friend Louise knew the right way to console me.

That image cheers me up immensely! Trolls deserve nice lipstick too.

UPDATED TO ADD: I’ve linked this to Not Dead Yet Style’s Visible Monday post. Click here to check out the other visible ladies.

30 Responses to “What Wendy Wore: Women’s Jewelry Association Gala”

1. annemarie says:

You ladies look faahn. I want a one-shoulder ruffle dress too. I’d take either the tangerine or the gold. I already have the gold shoes (naturally).

Hey, were you the one going to see Skylar Grey?

• annemarie says:

I am indeed The One. It was good– a interesting. She’s very talented but she didn’t seem to be fully present in her skin yet. Watching her, it suddenly struck me that it must be quite a huge diss to an attractive and gifted 26 year old for a record company to love one of your songs but not want you to sing it. I would like to be her Image Consultant. I would send her to you for Bitchtastic training.

Mmmm….yes, in the past, I would have seen that as a diss, but now, from my point of view as the owner of a business, having someone huge want to use my song might seem to me more like a great opportunity (and the first step towards my own greatness) rather than an insult. Going from broke to making money as a songwriter of a big hit is better than making no money from singing my own song that no one hears. Plus it’s great for the ole resume. I think the music business is awful and difficult — even worse than fashion, and fashion is fucking horrid — and that the music people I’ve met are realistic about the value of being behind the scenes sometimes.

It kind of reminds me of how I would have loved for Topshop to license (not steal) my swear-ring design so I could get paid while they did the selling, you know? That said, if Skylar ever wanted to talk Bitchtastically with me, of course, I’d love to :-))))

Anyway, I think there’s an interview where she said she had some understanding of abusive relationships due to her experience with the music biz. I’m going to search for that.

UPDATED TO ADD: Here’s the interview I was thinking of, where she talks about LTWYL: http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/0.....em-dr-dre/ and here’s a new one where she’s like “I wouldn’t be siting here…” http://www.vibe.com/article/in.....m-skrillex

• stacy says:

I can make you a version of the one I did for Wendy :-)

2. aw, I cry when I lose/break my favorite lipstick. you’re a golden goddess! thanks for sharing with Vis Monday.

3. Alice Olive says:

Wow, golden-esque suits you! Fabulous dress!

I’m glad you wore the gold dress, I think it was a good choice and totally appropriate for the occasion. One shoulder asymmetry seemed like a trend last night! And I looove Monica’s backless number as well as the “back-lace.” I used to wear those all the time… so sexy.

I’ve been wanting to add some back-laces to my collection forevah. I actually have a redesign to do for my sister which I think could make a good back-lace.

5. Gabriala says:

Oh, the horror when you saw the lipstick slide down that shaft!!! On another note, you couldn’t have picked a better outfit. I LERVE all gold, I am dreaming about it right now!!!! You look fabulous! xoxo

Why do those things always seem to happen in slow motion, yet there’s not enough time to stop the accident from happening?!

6. Eli says:

Looking fabulous as always! I can’t believe the first dress, that’s that front?! It’s so beautiful worn backwards though!

Wendy, you’re positively golden. ;) Also drooling over that Helmut Lang dress.

8. K-Line says:

Man, you are a bunch of fine looking ladies! So much style and good jewelry.

9. Couture Carrie
    Twitter: couturecarrie

You all look incredible!
    Love your shoes and that backless gown!

xoxox,
    CC

I know, I want to steal Monica’s gown!

• Monica says:

Wendy, you would not even have to steal it. I would be happy to loan it. Would be easier if I lived in NY! Thank you for the fantastic photo! Loved seeing you, and I’m vastly cheered by the thought of a happy troll wearing Trish McEvoy…

Great to see you on your big night! Congrats again on the nomination.

10. Your dress choice is pretty perfect! You’re glam and gorgeous in it, of course. It must be so nice to be in an artistic profession where you get to dress up and hang with such talented peers! Thanks for letting us see even a little of it!
    Elevator trolls may well deserve a pretty pucker, perhaps. But not internet trolls. Never.

11. You ladies all look fabulous but the kissy photo is my favorite.