Friday, July 12, 2013

I avoided wearing shorts for most of my adult life until 2010, when a New York City heat wave of 100+ degree weather made me break down and buy the first two pairs I saw at the closest air-conditioned store. I don’t know why shorts didn’t appeal to me for so long. I certainly wore skirts that were just as short, back in the day, so it wasn’t a length issue. I think I was traumatized by the casual, elastic-waist shorts of the ’80s. I really loathe an elastic waist.

However, more-stylish, non-elastic-waist shorts have been becoming increasingly popular for several years, plus my wardrobe therapist, designer Stacy Lomman, is a big fan of shorts. And New York City summers are hotter than hell. So, true to my “Never is the next new thing™” blog motto/fashion philosophy, I’ve adjusted. I took this outfit to Europe last month, but never got to wear it because it wasn’t warm enough, so I wore it when I got back to New York.

shorts1resizeWhat Wendy Wore
Top: Akris (2013)
Shorts: Theory (2013)
Shoes: Alexander McQueen (possibly 2010?)
Purse: Prada (2007)

When I visited the Castelbajac store in Paris in June, I got a pair of black shorts with lightning-bolt pockets in addition to the burlap dress and pleather-crocodile trench coat. I wore the shorts for the first time last week when I went to have a bite to eat with my gorgeous mother, BarbaraB.

shorts2What Wendy Wore
Top: Etro (pre-2007?)
Shorts: Castelbajac (2013)
Shoes: Prada (2011)
Skin: I work hard to stay this pale

I felt a little dubious about the look and confessed to BarbaraB: “I’ve been wearing some shorts lately.” She replied, “Might as well wear them now. Don’t wait till you’re 75!” Makes sense, doesn’t it?

UPDATED TO ADD: I linked this to the Visible Monday post at Not Dead Yet Style. Click here to see all the other visible ladies.

18 Responses to “What Wendy Wore: A Shorts Story”

1. Mardel says:

Makes sense. the lightening bolt shorts are sharp.

2. Amanda says:

LOVE the Castelbajac shorts. Those are awesome!!!! And you look fab in shorts just as you do in everything else.

You look fab in an “A” ring at a variety of events. I was seriously laughing out loud when you texted me last night!

3. You have great legs! You should wear non-elasticized shorts more often. Also, the lightening bolt shorts are beyond fabl.

4. Mary Panjari says:

I love those lightening bolt shorts! OMG I want everything in your closet. Great legs BTW!

5. Lisa
    Twitter: AmidPrivilege

You are made to wear shorts. Seriously.

6. I wish more women of a certain age would embrace the short shorts especially if their legs look as fab as yours.

7. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    Twitter: theloudermouth

Hot bod, lady!! Love these shorts on you!!!

8. They look great! I love shorts and wear them daily in the summer, when I’m not wearing a sundress.

9. Val Sparkle says:

These look great on you, especially with the high heels! I always think of shorts as casual, but these trouser-like ones look nice.

10. kim says:

You look amazing in shorts – you should absolutely be buying them and wearing them like crazy!! Patterned shorts would look fab on you too!!!

Follow your mother’s advice! Moms really do know best :)
    I promise to never make you wear elastic waist pants or shorts!

12. MARLA ROBINSON says:

Those shorts outfit are so adorable.

13. yikes, legs for a mile! you look fantastic and thanks for sharing with Vis Monday.

14. I can only add my shock that you never thought to show off you gorgeous gams in shorts before three years ago! That’s ok … you’re very young. You still have years to make up for lost time.
    Killer shorts, Wendy, and I really admire your taste in shoes. Lovely as always.