Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Today is MrB’s birthday: He’s turned the big Seven-Oh! A 70th birthday requires serious celebration, so over the weekend I organized a surprise dinner attended by his four children and two grandchildren. (Thanks to the peeps who flew from California and Florida for it.) I held it a few days before his birthday to throw him off. He was amazed.

I saved his gift for the actual birthday. The cufflinks I made him have been in the works for a long time. I got the pair of silvery pearls in 2010, when I was making pearl dragon cufflinks for my designing friend Zang Toi. I didn’t decide what I wanted to do with them until last year, when I redesigned a silvery pearl pendant that MrB gave me in 1998.

My own pearl pendant, post-redesign. Click for more information.

The tsavorite (green garnet) that I used in the pendant is one of my favorite gems. I’ve used it in my Marie Antoinette ring and the onyx skull ring you see in my blog’s header. As I was working on the pendant, I realized I could do a pair of cufflinks to match. Here they are — August’s Jewel of the Month.

Photo by SquareMoose.

The 179 tsavorites and two pearls are set in 18K gold wire. All the work was done by hand. No mold was made so the design can never be reproduced exactly as pictured here, but you can custom order your own special version. You get to choose the color of the pearls and the gem, so the price depends on the material. (For more information about the costs and process of custom work, click here.) There’s got to be a superstar athlete who will want these in platinum with black pearls and diamonds, don’t you think?

Here’s another shot of the cufflinks.

Photo by SquareMoose.

I’m looking forward to seeing these on MrB at his second birthday dinner tonight.  Of course, there’s another dinner! When you’re planning a surprise party, it’s a good idea to schedule an official celebration with your target so s/he isn’t suspicious. Oh, I have all the surprise-party tricks. This is the third time I’ve surprised MrB. I keep changing my technique so he doesn’t catch on. Mwah ha ha ha.

Happy birthday, MrB!

20 Responses to “Jewel of the Month: Pearl Cufflinks for MrB’s Birthday”

1. Sheila says:

Wow, Wendy, those are freakin’ amazing! I love the root-like way the gold twists – it goes so well with the talon-ish green bits.

You are so talented! Mr. B will love those. Happy 7-Oh, Mr B.

2. Aggie
    Twitter: OnceOverLightly

I’m going to say it again: Those cufflinks are fit for royalty!

It could pass for a Slytherin heirloom ;)

3. Melanie says:

I do believe those are the most beautiful cufflinks I have ever seen – obviously a labour of love. Happy Birthday to Mr. B. May he wear these in health and happiness.

4. sulky kitten says:

Happy Birthday to handsome Mr B! Those cufflinks are gorgeous, very special indeed. Just like you and him.

5. Gorgeous pieces! Happy birthday to MrB. whose work I appreciate and whose wife is a creative goddess : >

6. annemarie says:

I want to see your birthday outfits!

7. Rocquelle
    Twitter: ConsiderMeLuvly

Wow, those cuffs are awesome!!! Happy birthday Mr. B!!

8. K-Line says:

Congrats Mr. B! Big, fab gift for a big, fab birthday!

9. laura says:

WOW. Those cufflinks are amazing. They would be the greatest earrings ever!

10. Stephanie
    Twitter: nouvelle

Mr. B & I are birthday twins! And those cufflinks are amazing. I think it’s very cute how you keep surprising him and he doesn’t catch on. I can’t keep surprises a secret that well.

11. Tina says:

Those cuff links are so insanely awesome! Happy Birthday MrB!!!!

12. déjà pseu
    Twitter: DejaPseu

Happiest of Birthdays to the Fabulous Mr. B! Would love to see a picture of him wearing those gorgeous cufflinks.

Incredibly awesome gift. Happy birthday to Mr.B! And congrats on throwing him a surprise party. I can’t even get my own party planned when I plan it to the teeth, I couldn’t imagine a surprise party.

14. Happy Birthday to Mr. B! The cufflinks are stunning.

15. Lara says:

Oh those are gorgeous! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Mr. B.! He’s such a handsome fellow!

Aaaaah! These are sick! You are a master. MrB. is going to be thrilled beyond. Next post — share pics!

17. I’m so behind on my blog-reading, but happy belated birthday to Mr. B, and how cool is it to have, like, three parties, and get cufflinks designed by th’ Missus? Lucky fellow, that Mr. B.

18. Ada says:

I love your absolutely gorgeous and unique jewelry line Wendy!

I will definitely keep an eye out on your line, I might just have to splurge one of these days ;)

Keep up the great work!