Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Grace Jones has always been a “Wear What You Want” icon …

Click for a nice collection of Grace Jones images.

… but anyone who didn’t know that got schooled by Jones’s performance at Monday’s Diamond Jubilee concert in London. For the celebration of Queen Elizabeth II’s 60 years on the English throne, a leotard-clad Jones hula-hooped through her song “Slave to the Rhythm.”

Jones at the Jubilee. Click for source.

What makes this especially awesome is that Jones is 64. We should all age as disgracefully as this! YOLO!

20 Responses to ““Wear What You Want” Icon: Grace Jones”

1. sulky kitten says:

Now we know how she keeps in such good shape! Thanks to women like her I don’t fear the next birthday with a zero in it..

2. Megan
    Twitter: meegiemoo

She is so amazing. There is no one like her.

3. OMG (I have the “G” ring), she is awesome.

4. Lara says:

good god have mercy! 64!!! Incredible!

5. I love Grace Jones! I just watched the second “Conan” (the old Arnold ones) recently, and she is awesome in it.

she’s so freakin’ awesome.

7. Is she HULA-HOOPING? I cannot hulu hoop with a, er, dang. She is showing the rest of us how 64 is done!

8. Melanie says:

Whoa! Ms. Grace Jones sustained me when I was backpacking through some pretty wicked places 20+ years ago. I will never forgot that! She is inhuman in her capacity to entertain and be fabulous in general. Thanks for this – I didn’t know she was performing at the Jubilee celebration. Good choice.

9. The Style Crone
    Twitter: judithstylecrone.com

Brava! The queen of headwear and charisma. I remember dancing to her music in the 80’s, and good to know she’s continuing to inspire. One of my favorite icons.

10. Alice Olive says:

My anti-spam was redlips – how appropriate.

Yep, Ms. Jones is pretty damn amazing.

11. mystyle says:

Hi my dear-glad you looked at it, seeing is believing with Ms Jones, she is totally awesome!!

12. I want to be reincarnated as Grace Jones! Those images are so fabulous. We got to see some of them up close at the Jean-Paul Goude retrospective at Les Arts Decoratifs in March.

I hope the Queen became a slave to rhythm watching that awesome performance.

13. I adore Grace Jones – and this was the highlight of the Jubilee! Sorry I missed you.

14. Make Do Style
    Twitter: MakeDoStyle

I fully intend to!!

15. Aging with grace, indeed. Always loved that top photo!

16. Terri says:

Adding learning to hoop to my bucket list. She looks great!

17. Smokin’. I want that bod when I am 64 (or indeed, now).