Monday, May 7, 2012

Today is “Visible Monday” over at Not Dead Yet Style. Gorgeous 50-something blogger Patti Gibbons — who blogs about “how to look authentic and beautiful in our middle years” — is the hostess with the mostest. If you’re a fashion blogger over 40, visit Not Dead Yet Style today to post, in Patti’s words, “an outfit, accessory, lipstick color, hairstyle, etc., that especially expresses our Joy of Being (Physically) Visible. ”

The idea of “Visible Monday” came out of several of Patti’s posts, including this one, about feeling like an invisible woman after a certain age. Ah, it’s so true that youth is wasted on the young! When I was in my teens and 20s, I had great skin … and a profound feeling of powerlessness.

When I was 17, I thought my cheeks were too chubby, but I clearly took pride in my hair.

I felt threatened by everything from sidewalk catcalls to gender-specific job titles like “chairman.” My mother said I’d grow out of the “don’t look at me” phase. She was right. Now I practically blow kisses to complimentary dudes on the street, including the toothless junkie who hangs out near my apartment building. I also prefer “chairman” to “chair,” “chairwoman,” or “chairperson.” It seems being older and wiser means I just don’t give a F@#! anymore as long as I’m having fun.

My famous swear rings in sterling silver. Click to purchase the set for $380.

Because I’m a fan of what Patti has to say about women and age, I couldn’t deny her when she wanted to buy only the “G” ring from my OMG ring set, even though I normally don’t break up multi-ring sets.

Click to buy the set for $300.

When Patti received the ring, she emailed me, “I love it! I get a lot of compliments. I change the ‘meaning’ at whim: from my proper name, to Goddess, to Girl-power, Glam, G-spot …”

Patti's G ring.

You can follow Patti on Twitter at @PattiNotDeadYet. And if your name is “Mo” or your mantra is “om,” you’re in luck — I’ve got two-thirds of an OMG ring set for you. Holla at me wbjewelry at hotmail dot com if you want to buy the O and/or M rings from Patti’s set.

18 Responses to “Nuthin’ But a “G” Ring”

1. Melanie says:

Yes, for me too it’s now chair or chairperson, but I have a hard time with fisher or fisherperson. It just seems wrong. Any ideas? I agree – Patti is fabulous!!

2. sulky kitten says:

And I thought I was Sulky! That’s some teenaged angsty stare! Great photo, you look beautiful, and you’re still beautiful.

Aw, thanks. Very rare for me to have a non-smiling picture. I’m psyched to have one sulky photo!

3. Hee! Thanks Wendy! Now I don’t leave the house without my G. I *lurve* your teenage hair, you were in the band, sister.

4. janettaylor says:

You were so young but too cute one this photo. :)

Btw I am crazy for your jewelry especially the rings!

Happy Monday!

5. K-Line says:

Oh, I had those cheeks too!

6. Susan Tiner says:

Patti’s G ring is great!

I love that photo of you. I had blonde streaks in my hair at that age too. I think I recognize some part of the Northern Long Island coast in that photo.

OMG, you still have great skin! Even Ramona thought so! LOL

8. Silvergirl says:

love that pic
    it is great that you broke up your rings for Patti!
    you are such a sweetie
    brett

9. Jean says:

Seeing that picture of you back in the day was so poignant! I wanted to give her a hug and let her know everything was going to be okay!!! (Projection?)

Someday I’ll be joining the W.B. jewelry club and have a ring of my very own!!!! Can’t wait. Tell all your friends to follow joeysommerville.com (my fabulous trumpet-playing husband) so that he’ll get his well-deserved Grammy and I’ll get my well-deserved ring!! Watcha think?

10. Terri says:

Ha, I love Patti’s changing designations! And your ideas about the remaining rings.

11. That’s one lucky toothless junkie in your neighborhood :)

I love the ring story. There’s almost enough of the set left to spell one of my names, “Mom”…:)

He and I get along well now that he stopped saying, “Working half a day?” whenever he saw me out and about in the afternoon. That shit annoyed me! :-)

And I just sold the “M.” Do you know any “O” people who need a ring?

12. Pearl Westwood
    Twitter: pearlwestwood

When I see all your photos it makes me wish I hadnt ripped up most of the photos of my younger self during a teen angst moment lol! Im trying to think of an OM or MO slang but nope Im getting nothing!