Sunday, February 26, 2012

Remember that crazy Junya Watanabe jacket I tried on at Bergdorf Goodman earlier this week? I bought it, of course, and wore it to the Weinstein Company pre-Oscar party in Los Angeles last night. The event was fabulous! Tony Bennett was there and sang “Autumn Leaves” to the Weinstein brothers’ mother. And I spotted Meryl Streep, Katy Perry and Uggie the dog. The latter three didn’t arrive together (though Katy and Uggie had a moment later), but now I feel they should have, just because they’d be a strange trio. If anyone ever asks me that hoary interview question about my fantasy dinner party guests, I’m going to say, “Meryl Streep, Katy Perry and Uggie the dog.”

MrB and I cornered Harvey Weinstein to congratulate him on his movies’ 16 Oscar nominations. Then a proud MrB mentioned that I had won an award of my own. “It made me feel much better about things,” I confided to Harvey, the man with a zillion Oscars. I can’t remember his exact reply, but the gist of it was: “Um … YEAH!”

What Wendy Wore
Jacket: Junya Watanabe (2012)
Dress: Versace (circa 2003)
Shoes: Prada (2010)
Rings: My own Nefertiti and Empress Wu designs
Earrings: My own Empress Wu design
Hair and makeup: Stephanie Daniel

The day before I got the Watanabe jacket, I was working on this Zang Toi post. The Zang post referenced a 2008 post I did and that post included this photo of actress Lucy Liu wearing a ruffled pink something-or-other.

Click for original source.

I’ve always wanted that pink ruffled thing. Another thing I’ve long coveted is my high-school friend Jim’s 1980s turquoise leather jacket.

Click to see a picture of me wearing this in the early '80s.

I think if Lucy Liu’s pink ruffled thing and Jim’s turquoise motorcycle jacket mated, the baby might very well look like the cropped, ruffled, bright blue Watanabe. No wonder I was instantly attracted to it!

22 Responses to “What Wendy Wore: Watanabe to the Weinstein Party”

1. déjà pseu
    Twitter: dejapseu

That jacket is really you, and LOVE the Empress Wu earrings too.

2. Andrea says:

you look beautiful! this jacket is fabulous ;)

3. Julie Marie Matos says:

You look spectacular!!! Earrings divine and jacket working ‘overtime’.

4. Cameron
    Twitter: CameronMiquelon

That is a wild, tiny jacket! You look adorable in it! Is the belt attached to the jacket, or to the dress?

5. Mardel says:

Love the jacket, and I hoped you would buy it as it looked just perfect for you.

6. Vix says:

That’s the best ruffley thing ever, I love it on you. x

7. A very cool piece. I’m feeling a flamenco-moto vibe (in the most flattering way possible, of course!).

8. Lara says:

Love your jacket sooo so so much.

That pink thing is by Valentino… before he retired. I’ve coveted that thing for so long.

9. sulky kitten says:

Ha! I knew you’d get that jacket, you little Glamour Puss – you look a zillion dollars in it! And your manicure is fabulous!

Omg, that jacket just gets better! Sometimes when I get dressed, I imagine what jacket/coat I’d be wearing in a post-apocalyptic world (because you gotta have a freaking awesome jacket in a post-apocalyptic world), and I think your Watanabe jacket is perfection!

(sorry if this comment is bizzare, I’m in the midst of writing not one, but two research papers. @_@ )

11. Pam @over50feeling40
    Twitter: over50feeling40

I usually do not lament and wish I was young again…but seeing this jacket on you makes me wish I was young again! It’s really fun!!

12. Winnie says:

Oh my goodness Wendy, that jacket is AWESOME and totally fierce (I really don’t use that word often but I will especially for you).

Also I’m sorry I can’t help with the sheer clothing article. I do have a few pieces but I’m off to HK in the morning (haha I love that I can say that). Looking forward to reading your article though! xx

13. That is just an amazing jacket – I should have known that you bought it! It’s so you!

14. katherine says:

that is an AWESOME outfit! you look amazing!

your jewelry is stunning – i especially love the empress wu earrings

15. Susan Tiner says:

The jacket is brilliant. I swear it was made for you! I’m so glad you two found each other.

16. Mary says:

Perfect! Seriously you look fantastic.

17. Elizabeth says:

I really love that Watanabe piece. It suits you so well. I hope you get as much joy out of wearing it as I am out of seeing you in it. It’s really perfect.

18. Jac
    Twitter: drtyshinyprtty

I love how you just go for it with fashion. It encourages me to be more bold with my own looks. And today I found a sign that I was destined to be a fan of your blog/jewelry while browsing Honestly WTF. My sign(Leo) is wearing this jacket in red! http://honestlywtf.com/art/whats-your-sign/

I can’t wait to make you a killer dress to wear with this!