Saturday, September 24, 2011

Time flies when you’re having grunge! In honor of the 20th anniversary of the release of Nirvana’s Nevermind, here’s a list of my Nirvana-mentioning blog posts.

I modeled my 1993 t-shirt in 2010. Click for that post and my memories of attending Nirvana's MTV Unplugged performance.

Thinking of grunge makes me think of the time mischievous Sub Pop Records receptionist Megan Jasper invented a list of grunge slang terms that wound up printed in the New York Times. I’m pleased to see that she later became an executive at the company, because if hoodwinking the New York Times with fake slang isn’t the most awesome job qualification ever, I don’t know what is. You can follow Megan on Twitter here.

12 Responses to “It Was 20 Years Ago Today: Nirvana’s Nevermind Album”

Awesome. Weird trivia fact I recently heard… Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Amy W., Janis J., Jimi Hendrix and somebody else I’m forgetting all died at age 27. Weird, huh?

2. Eli says:

Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play!

I remember reading about the band and that whole era while secretly reading my older brother’s copies of Details magazine!

3. Mary says:

Love them. Still listen to all their albums on weekly basis. Your outfit in the photo is exactly what I wore! I still wear similar outfits now and I still have the boots (purchased at Trash and Vaudeville in 1991). How ridiculous!

4. OK that’s it. I am officially OLD. :)

This all seems like yesterday. I loved me some Nirvana.

5. I’m just 10 years too old to have loved them in their day – but I can still heart that song and video, right?

6. Andrea says:

ahhh i love this album! you look fab in that shirt :)

7. Wow; grunge. Makes me think of Kristen McMenamy wearing flannel plaid in Vogue. I was still more New Order than Nirvana at the time, but I certainly appreciate their music in retrospect!

8. Amy Nievera
    Twitter: pintucked

Holy jeebus, you got to attend MTV Unplugged? SO JEALOUS. That show must have been amazing.

9. Bad. Ass. Such nostalgia right now…

10. patti says:

OMG, I have no idea why I threw out my same Nirvana t-shirt…they (along with Sonic Youth) change my teenage life. I saw them for the first time in San Francisco in 1991 at the Warfield. It was seriously life changing. Very glad you still have yours.