Tuesday, August 10, 2010

As I said in yesterday’s post, I got together with gorgeous blogger Jennine of The Coveted last week so she could photograph and interview me for her denim blog, Eat, Sleep, Denim.

While we were at it, I wanted to get a picture of a dress made for me by gorgeous blogger/clothing designer Stacy Lomman of taffetadarlings — one that doesn’t show me clutching an uncomfortable-looking Henry the dog as if he were some kind of 16-pound, shedding fashion accessory. If you read my Kickstarter article on Independent Fashion Bloggers, you know that Stacy has been raising money to show her first namesake collection during Fashion Week in September, so I was anxious to show off an example of her work.

The high temperature was 94°F the day we took our photos. The dress is for fall. It’s wool and leather, but sleeveless, so I didn’t think I should feel quite as warm as I did. I kept saying to Jennine and Stacy, “Oh my God! I’m having a hot flash!” They kept replying, “You’re wearing wool, it’s 94°F and humid. You’re not having a hot flash, you’re just hot!” It was like Samantha’s desert scene in Sex and the City 2, with more humidity, fewer camels and no soundtrack.

Click to play trailer.

Samantha: I’m having a hot flash.
Carrie: You’re on a camel in the middle of the Arabian desert. If you’re not having a hot flash, you’re dead.

My non-menopausal sweatiness made the dress quite rumpled compared to the last time you saw it.

In May, with Henry and no wrinkles.

wendy_dress

Without Henry, but feeling the heat. Photo by Jennine Jacob.

It’s still beautiful, right? And Jennine’s such an amazing photographer. I’m wearing the dress with my studded Miu Miu shoesHermès watch from 2002, and Cleopatra earrings from Sex and the City 2. I also wore my Diana and Siobhan rings. Jennine took a picture of them next to the dress’s leather detail.

dress_detail

Rings by me, dress by Stacy Lomman, photo by Jennine Jacob

Back to Stacy’s fundraising: she hit her target goal of $6,000, which means she gets the money. In fact, she’s at $9,000 now. If you haven’t donated yet, you still should, because $6,000 really just covered the cost of making 12 dresses. There are all kinds of other costs, like the models, the makeup artists, the photographer and videographer, the lighting for photographer and videographer … the list goes on and on. All the dresses have been sponsored, meaning they’re named after someone, but you might want to order the new WendyB dress. We can be twins!

Stacy's sketch of my spring dress.

You can also talk to Stacy about ordering the fall dress I’m wearing above. Check out her Kickstarter project page.

57 Responses to “Having a Samantha Moment in a Stacy Lomman Dress”

1. jennine says:

omg it was hot! i almost died, and i was wearing a see through shirt and mini!

died!

that dress is great, and you look fabulous in it. it alsmost makes me wish for fall!

Oh, what a wonderful post! Thanks for nice pitch :-)
    OK, I’m still cracking up over that scene… classic!
    “If you’re not having a hot flash, you’re dead!” Second best scene in the entire film — first being of course, Wendy Brandes’ Cleopatra earrings on Samantha as she blurts, “Lawrence of my labia.”
    I’m so happy with the dress because you look incredible in it. It seriously fits you like a glove and I can’t take my eyes off you when you’re in it (in a non-gay way!). Jennine captured it so well. She is a photo genius — no joke!

3. Good heavens, if that is how you look when rumpled I want some of what you’re having! You look wonderful, not at all like someone in wool in 94 degree heat.

The coolest shot has to be your rings next to the leather detail, they look so very cool. As do you. (No pun was intended when I typed that, duh.)

And yea to Stacy!
    tp

4. K-Line says:

I really love the leather insert at the waist on that dress. It’s so perfectly shaped on you!

And you, of all people, will wear your new Stacy dress to fun, fancy occasions. It will have the life it deserves.

5. hiyaluv says:

you are bangin’ as dave would say and stacy is super talented! i am so excited to see her creations! :0smiles, gina

6. Cameron says:

If you’re still hot by NYE, I’ll be sure to bring a bucket of ice and a fire extinguisher… just in case. xP

Anyway, I think my favorite part of your dress is the leather swoosh on the side. Very Nike-esque yet adds a nice accent to your right hip. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

7. Lenya says:

That dress is stunning on you. Absolutely stunning.

8. enc says:

You’ll never believe this, but I’m having a hot flash—a REAL one!—as I read/comment on this!

You look divine in that dress, fuzzy fashion accessory or not! Stacy’s work is beautiful.

9. Wendy, that is a gorgeous dress. You should be here in LA in that wool dress as we are having the coldest summer on record.

10. Fab dress…best of luck to Stacy!

♥ V

11. Tracie says:

I just saw that movie this weekend. Love the dress, love the right…love, love, love.

12. now writhing in major dress envy!

13. Paulina says:

That is a gorgeous! It looks amazing on you, sweaty or not!

14. Daiane says:

i saw the movie a week ago or so and i found it very fun! i don’t know what the bad reviews were about…

other than that… Wendy, the air may be hot but you are hotter! that dress looks so good, wrinkles or no wrinkles! hey, we’re humans after all, with all the sweat and hot flashes included, hahah! *winks*

kisses!

15. Jemina says:

WOW, that dress is beautiful and it’s a Wendy B dress, GORGEOUS!!! xoxo

16. hammie says:

A star is born. xx

17. Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl
    Twitter: juliaohso

Jennine takes amazing photos of you!!

Also, I read your kickstarter article, what an enjoyable piece! Loved how informative it was too. I’m having the same old problem though – tried commenting on it a few times but looks like nothing went through ugh

18. Susan says:

beautiful dress, beautiful girl :)
    xoxo

19. Gorgeous dress, Wendy. I love the curving swath of leather at the waist. Genius!

20. marian says:

Wendy you have the most gorgeous smile!

Love you in that dress. Oh and adore that sketch of your spring summer dress. I cannot wait to see it when it is done
    xoxo
    Marian

21. Rosie says:

I love it! Her designs are so amazing, I wish I could afford to sponsor a dress :(

• stacy says:

Thank you Rosie! You don’t need to sponsor a dress, you can contribute any amount to the Kickstarter fund. We’ll do a dress for you next season. “The Rosie.” I like it!

22. Sally
    Twitter: sallymcgraw

Good lord, that’s a gorgeous dress! Worth suffering through the heat to get those amazing shots, too, I’d wager.

23. HelOnWheels
    Twitter: HelOnWheels

Both of the dresses are gorgeous and you look stunning in the fall one! I think I’ll need to get one for myself.

Best of luck to Stacy.

24. sharon rose says:

The dress is wonderful my dear-as always you look so stylish and original, even if too hot!! x

25. Your new(?) shorter(?) bangs are inspiring me. Have an appt. on the 25th. Will I ask for a WendyB?

26. Love that dress and love it on you! That is such a great line from SATC, I am getting hot flushes all the time now, or is it just the weather?????

27. I am LOVING Stacy’s dress. I loved it the first time I saw it and I love it even more now and it looks so great with your rings. LOVE it!!!

28. Lexie says:

What a fabulous dress, and she picked the most fabulous model!

Kickstarter is such a great organization for artist ventures — one of my friends is fundraising to publish a print edition of her online magazine, LaundryMagazine!

29. Miss Janey says:

WendyB, you look gorgeous in that gorgeous dress.

30. Emma says:

That dress is amazing – I love the leather detailing.

31. Wait a minute, girlfriend, what are those shoes that you’re wearing up above???

The Black Queen

32. Melissa
    Twitter: jeweldosedaily

That dress looks great with your hair up or down…which I’ve found dresses usually command either or (I might just be quirky that way though). I LOVE the dress and the details (especially on the back) but yes it does look hot! Funny thing is this reminds me of when the preview for satc2 was always on. My husband would constantly quote the Samantha moment. I thought it to be an odd thing for a man to like quoting. He thought it was hillarious!?!?

33. Jill says:

Hot flashes!! Bwahahaha…your the definition of the word, just plain HOT! Looking gorgeous as usual. Love the little slice of leather on the front of the dress.

34. Couture Carrie
    Twitter: couturecarrie

You look gorgeous, darling WB!
    And naturally I love your new profile pic too!

xoxox,
    CC

35. lol you’re so funny Wendy. Luckily both you and Samantha are hot enough to look great even when feeling like they’re melting ;-) The dress is very pretty I love the detail.

36. Winnie says:

Aha, I can imagine it being pretty hot in that dress but you still manage to look awesome in the photos!!

37. Creamy says:

Your dog is cute

Amanda “Creamy” Apriani
    Twitter : caramel_manda

38. Jacqueline
    Twitter: drtyshinyprtty

Love the dog, the shoes, love the sketch, love everything.

39. Midtown Girl says:

I totally remember that scene, lol! You look divine in Stacy’s beautiful dress. The WendyB dress will be a smash hit as well – along with her entire collection <3

40. Karena says:

Fabulous dress and I am going to look over your jewelry now….

Come and enter my Latest Giveaway!!
    xoxo

Karena
    Art by Karena

41. janettaylor says:

I’m crazy for this dress! Brilliant!

42. Sharon says:

Wendy!! Lookin’ gorg as usual. ;) That dress is perfect on your. PERFECT, I say! Hope you’re having a fabulous day.

xx Love & Aloha

43. qin says:

Lovely earrings

44. Lee Oliveira
    Twitter: leeoliveira82

Love your dress.. what a great taste in fashion you have
    LOx

45. That is such a gorgeous dress.:)SarahD

46. that dress looks fabulous on you!!

47. Alya says:

I love that dress you’re wearing.. but the WendyB dress looks to-die-for! Can’t wait to see it come to life. I’m going to order it if it looks that good!