Saturday, November 28, 2009

I promised a full-length view of my gown from this week’s Committee to Protect Journalists fund-raising dinner, but I didn’t expect I’d get to use one from the New York Times! Famous photographer Bill Cunningham took this picture of me and my gorgeous friend Melissa — both in Zang Toi gowns — with Zang that night.

Click to see the whole feature in the New York Times.

Click to see the whole feature in the New York Times.

Thanks again, Bill!

I must say, it’s great to have the designer around to fix one’s train. A friend took a candid picture of that process.

Zang got on the floor to fix my train!

Zang got down on the floor to make my dress photo-worthy.

Here’s a more formal photo of me and MrB, taken by famous photographer GeorgeB, before we set out that night.

With MrB before heading to the event.

With MrB before heading to the event.

In a twist on the standard New York City skyline image, the buildings on the gown are the Hearst Tower and the Time Warner Center. Zang’s morning jogs past those places inspired him.

For jewelry, I wore one-of-a-kind diamond earrings and a “censored” version of the Wendy Brandes swear rings. (I replaced the “F” with an asterisk.) I thought that was symbolically appropriate for an occasion benefiting journalists who are censored and worse.

swear-rings crop

The fabulous Julie from Pierre Michel twisted my faux-ny tail into an off-center chignon. That was a new look for the faux-ny and I really enjoyed it. It turned out Julie worked on a few of Zang’s runway shows back in the day. You never know who is going to be connected to whom!

I got these Stuart Weitzman shoes the day before the event.

Disco-ball heels!

Disco-ball heels!

I bought those after realizing my 15-year-old Lagerfeld shoes have become too shabby for formal affairs. Yep, I have shoes that are older than some fashion bloggers.

I also realized that I neglected to provide the link for donating to CPJ in my previous post on the evening. Please note that MrB, the chairman of CPJ, has pledged $25,000 to match, dollar for dollar, gifts from new supporters of up to $500 each!  Double your impact! Click here to find out what CPJ does with your money and here to donate. Donations are tax-deductible.

67 Responses to “Outfit Photo by Bill Cunningham of the New York Times”

1. Ohmigosh Wendy you are gorg to the tenth power! That gown is heavenly – and all of your baubles…I die! :)

2. Mode Junkie says:

you looked stunning!

3. atelier says:

You look gorgeous! what an honour to have your photo on the New York Times!!

I posted a comment early this week on your blog to ask you for a little interview for my MA project (on Manolo Blahník). Let me know if you could make it please!!

4. Miss Janey says:

Miss WEndy looked fabulous as ever.

5. Midtown Girl says:

WOW. I freaking love that dress. I am in love with it seriously. And the train is TDF.

You look amazing, the hair, everything. And MrB is just a darling…so proud of you for being part of Cunningham’s style shots!!

XOXO
    Amy

6. Ohh yesss.
    Gorgeous friends and such a gorgeous gorgeous dress, Wendy!!!

7. Kristin
    Twitter: BonBonRoseGirls

TOTALLY NY Times worthy. You looked SO amazing. The gown, the shoes, the hair, the lips…just wow!

8. issa says:

omg you look absolutely amazing!!! congratulations :)

9. Natalie says:

Wendy, you rock star. Your dress is gorgeous! The train is so Old Hollywood. Us ladies at Shop It To Me are fans. Congratulations!

10. hanako66 says:

wendy, you look stunning!!!!!

11. Diana says:

You look absolutely stunning! That dress is amazing.

12. GLC says:

I just noticed this: Half of your bosom covering came from the same creature that was used to make Lady Gaga’s “Poker Face” mask. That just makes Lady Gaga that much cooler if she shares materials with Wendy.

13. Keith says:

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I appreciate it. It was nice hearing from you. You look fantastic in these photos. That’s an amazing outfit. Take care.

14. you look so great in these pictures its almost annoying! Serious though – spectacular look right down to the offset chignon! PErfection

15. diana says:

amazing dress indeed, are all of those appliques hand sewn? a lot of work must have gone into making it :)